Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloween!!!

I have to admit, I actually really like Halloween. I think I forgot how much I liked it for a while because I was a boring college student who never dressed up or really did anything to celebrate the holiday, but now that I'm a teacher, I love it again! I would just say that I love seeing my students get all excited and show up to school in their crazy costumes, but the fact is, I secretly love dressing up. Okay, I actually just love doing fun things with my hair.

This Halloween I decided to dress up like a rock star (if you ask Hailey, she will say that this was her idea, and I stole it, but I don't really believe that was the case--it's not my fault that we both had the same idea; these things just seem to happen). Anyway, it all started because I absolutely love the idea of putting brightly colored streaks in my hair. In fact, I would secretly love to have brightly colored streaks in my hair all the time, but I'm not sure that would go over too well at school...it might be considered an "extreme" hairstyle. So, Halloween is basically the only time of year I get to live my dream (and possibly on crazy hair day). See why it's so great to be a teacher?! To complete my rocker look, I used a little extra eye liner and eyeshadow, painted my fingernails bright orange to match my hair and added some awesome glow-in-the-dark stickers--yes, I did turn out the lights and close the blinds to show my students just how cool they were--and strapped on a rockin' guitar hero guitar. As you can probably guess, I had way too much fun with this :)

My students also had some fairly creative costume ideas. The most creative award would have to go to two of my boys who dressed up as "dead chicks". Yep, that really is what they called themselves. They made it very clear that they were not dead girls, they were dead chicks. Somehow they decided it's okay to dress like a chick, but not a girl--there's some solid 3rd grader logic for you ;) In addition to the dead chicks, there were witches, werewolves, babies, pirates, and various others. Another of my favorites was a boy dressed as a bumblebee. I've posted a class pic below, but I have several parents who'd rather their children's pictures weren't published on the Internet, so I covered the faces of all students who weren't already wearing heavy makeup or masks. At least they all look happy :)

5 comments:

Amber said...

Why is it that our twins still copy us? It's messed up isn't it ha ha. I love your costume Hil! You look hot! You were born to rock girl. All your kids look incredibly a like, it's weird ha ha. Glad you had fun. I LOVE LOVE Halloween!!

Randi Oswald said...

Hilary!!! I am so proud of you for blogging!! Your costume is awesome and I love the orange color in your hair!! You totally pull it off!! haha. I'm glad you decided to dress up and post pictures!! See you soon!

Hilary said...

Amber--I know, it's crazy how similar my students are, isn't it?

Randi--can you believe I actually posted twice in the same month? I'm pretty sure it's a record :) And thanks, I really love the orange color too!

Zach and Nikky said...

You blogged!! I am also shocked! Love your rockstar costume...i think I'm with Hailey on this one though. I remember her saying she was going to dress up like a rockstar the weekend before Halloween and you said something like, I'm going to dress up like the cookie monster! ha ha. Love you

Hailey said...

Thank you, Nikky! Hil, it figures that your celebration was a day early. That totally made it look like I was the copier! Oh, and apparently your kids don't have the same rules as mine. We say no to cross-dressing, masks, blood and gore, and excessive face painting. I guess we just like to keep things a bit more wholesome in PG. :)