Sunday, October 10, 2010

Don't Worry, I'm Still Alive :)


It's crazy how busy life gets sometimes, but it turns out, my life actually hasn't been all that busy...so that doesn't actually make for a very good excuse for not blogging. I guess I just spend my time doing other things, but I know everyone out there in the Internet world is dying to know what's going on in my life, so I've decided it's time for an update.


I am currently living in Provo, and I teach 3rd grade at an elementary school in Sandy. I was hoping to move to Sandy this year, but it hasn't worked out yet. I have a contract for my apartment here in Provo, and it simply hasn't sold yet, but I'm hoping to move soon. In the meantime, I spend about an hour and a half in my car every day. It's not fun, but I'm used to it, and I listen to books on cd, so it's not too bad.


In other exciting news, I graduated from SUU this summer with a Master's of Education with an elementary math endorsement. I also completed an ESL endorsement by attending classes once a week all last school year. It's now a little ironic that I finished the ESL endorsement because I work at a school this year where I actually don't have a single ESL student. ESL stands for English as a Second Language, and at my last school, half of my class spoke Spanish, so it made sense at the time :)


Speaking of school, I have now taught 5th, 4th, and 3rd grade. I have also taught at 3 different schools in the last 3 years. To be perfectly honest, I never imagined that this was how my teaching career would go, but I guess it's been the right path for me. I've gotten a lot of great experience working working in various grades with a wide variety of students and other teachers. It's certainly not easy to basically start over every year, but I know that I've learned a lot from it. My current school is a lot like the first school that I worked at, so that's been kind of nice. People ask me which has been my favorite grade to teach, and I honestly don't even know. 5th grade was great, and I loved it, so I think it's still winning, but I've enjoyed 4th and 3rd too. I think my favorite will be whichever I get to teach for more than one year at a time, and I'm hoping that will happen soon.


All in all, life is good. I've had a chance to spend a lot of time with my family recently with Zach and Nikky moving to Bountiful, and that has been great! My family is amazing, and I love spending time with them! I have some of the best grandparents, parents, siblings, and siblings-in law around, and I absolutely love being an aunt to Declan and Paige :) I'm very grateful for all of the amazing people in my life.

3 comments:

Amber said...

That's so awesome Hil!! I didn't realize you have taught so many different grades. Congrats on graduating by the way you are a super star! I'm with you on the whole family thing. We're so lucky to have such awesome siblings and family. Glad to hear you're doing well. Hope to see you soon!

Neal and Angie said...

Wow! You've gotten so much experience, 3 different class in 3 years? I hope you'll be able to move to Sandy soon, so your commute isn't so bad. Congrats on getting your Master's and ESL. Way to go...that's super awesome!

Unknown said...

Three must be your lucky number! With three grades, three schools, and three years, I'd say three is on your side! I'm glad you're enjoying life and doing so well. Congrats on the degree! That's wonderful! I didn't know Zack and Nikky were in Bountiful. I can imagine how much you're loving that! It'll be fun to hang out with you guys one of these days.